Preparation and Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Looking for a recipe for an affordable meal? Perhaps you’d like to try your hand at a vegetarian dish? Well today is your day! You can’t go wrong with this simple, flavoursome falafel recipe. There are many ways that you can serve falafel, but I like to enjoy them with wraps, salad and tzatziki or sour cream.
1 Can of Chickpeas
2 Cloves of Garlic
½ a Chilli
Herbs (I like to use oregano)
Salt and Pepper
Approximate Cost of Dish: £1.20
- Chop and deseed your half chilli and add to a food processor.
2. Slice your onion in half, removing the outer paper-like layer and add to the food processor.
3. Peel two cloves of garlic and add to the food processor.
4. Add your herb of choice, fresh or dried, to the food processor (I like to use oregano).
5. Blitz the ingredients together until they become finely chopped. This should take roughly two minutes.
6. Add the contents of the food processor to a frying pan with a little oil, and sauté over a low heat.
7. To the now emptied food processor, add a can of drained and washed chickpeas. Blitz until they form a lumpy paste.
8. Squeeze 1 lemon into the chickpeas.
9. Take the onion, chilli, garlic and herbs from the frying pan and add to the blitzed chickpeas and lemon.
10. Mix all of the ingredients again in the food processor until they are combined.
11. Add two table spoons of flour and mix it into the paste. Be careful not to over mix the flour as your falafel could become doughy.
12. Work the mixture into small patties and roll them in flour.
13. Fry the small patties, now covered in flour, until they turn golden brown.