Preparation and Cooking Time: 4 to 24 hours
Fried chicken is, in my humble opinion, the perfect comfort food snack. Ever since watching Breaking Bad and seeing Los Pollos Hermanos I have been a fried chicken junkie!
It’s crispy, juicy and bursting with flavour. Whenever I have a fried chicken craving, it simply must be satisfied! This recipe is quick and easy to do at home so long as you are organised. By making your fried chicken at home, you will know exactly what is going into it and it is likely to be be healthier than your local chicken shop.
4 Chicken Legs and 4 Thighs
1 Pot of Buttermilk
200g of Flour
50g of Cornflour
Herbs and Spices (choose your favourites, but oregano, garlic powder, chilli power, cumin and paprika work very well, use half a teaspoon of each)
Vegetable Oil (do not use olive oil)
Salt and Pepper
Approximate Cost of the Dish- £4
- Marinade your chicken in the buttermilk for at least 3 hours, or ideally overnight.
2. Add your flour, cornflour and herbs and spices to a zip-lock bag and mix together.
3. Add the marinaded chicken to the flour mix and shake the chicken in the bag until it is well covered.
4. Cover a frying pan with your oil, around an inch deep. Fry the chicken in the pan until golden brown.
5. Once golden brown, place in your oven for around 30 minutes until cooked. Serve and indulge!