Preparation and Cooking Time- 4hrs 30
As the evenings get dark and cold, comfort food becomes a massive deal in my household. What is better than a rich, delicious warming beef stew to banish the chills on a winter’s evening? This is my ultimate guide to creating the most amazing beef stew. Very easy to make, all it takes is a little patience.
Approximate Cost of the Dish- £6.50
400g diced beef
2 tablespoons tomato puree
1 can chopped tomato
1 beef stock cube
1 pack of mushrooms
Salt and pepper
- Add your diced beef to a hot casserole dish with a little oil to brown the meat. This is very important as it is where the flavours of the beef develop.
2. Once the beef has browned, dice your onions and add to the beef.
3. Chop you carrots and add to the beef and onions.
4. Allow to soften, which should take 5 mins and then add your tomato puree, allowing to cook for another 2-3 mins.
5. Pour the can of chopped tomatoes into the mixture.
6. Now for the ale. Pour your ale over the mixture. I’d advise using Banks’ Bitter, it is full and flavour and at 89p it will not break the bank.
7. Add your stock cube to the mixture, use the best stock cubes you can find, the jelly ones are very good.
8. Chop your mushrooms and add to the mixture before seasoning with salt and pepper.
9. Place in your oven at 150 degrees for 3.5-4 hours and serve!